Sewvivor - snips snippets

Welcome, welcome new friends and old. I would like to take a quick minute to show you all my entry into this season of Sewvivor. Fair warning, picture overload is about to commence!
 Enough chit chat already!!


BLAM!!

sewvivor 3

There she is, in all her unfinished glory, my proudest quilty achievement! My Gypsy Wife!
That's right, still not finished. I really underestimated how long it would actually take to hand quilt this. I was positive it would take a month or two tops. Wow, so wrong. I've been at it almost four months now and i still have quite a ways to go yet.

sewvivor 3


I did however manage to get enough quilted to finally put the binding on. I was hoping to have it finished in time to use it as my entry for Sewvivor 3. (that was after i was hoping to have it finished for Bloggers Quilt Festival!) So on a whim, i thought i'd email Rach at Family Ever After (superstar host of Sewvivor) and see if it was okay to use semi finished projects. You have no idea how ecstatic i was when she emailed me back and said it was okay! I hustled and bound the half of the quilt that was fully quilted and thought i'd be fine with it. Nope. No way i was going to post my very first full shot of my Gypsy Wife with only half a binding on. So i pulled out my tools of the trade and desperately tried to get as much stitched as possible!

sewvivor 3

I did my best to get at least some of the bigger blocks partially quilted so there would be minimal movement once they're fully quilted.



Fingers crossed it doesn't all go to pot when i finish the quilting!!

sewvivor 3

I've really, truly enjoyed hand quilting this. Though i should have timed it better so the quilting portion was being done in the winter. Sitting under this sucker in middle of the summer is like wearing saran wrap in a sauna, blech!

sewvivor 3

I probably would have been done the quilting had i gone with a simple design or even just straight lines. But all the Anna Maria Horner prints were begging for special treatment!

sewvivor 3

sewvivor 3

But where some get the royal stitchery treatment,

sewvivor 3

Others are left to shine without the grand details.

sewvivor 3

sewvivor 3

sewvivor 3

For my very first foray into hand quilting, i think i'm doing pretty well.

sewvivor 3

My stitches could definitely be better, but slowly i'm getting there. And i think by my next hand quilted project (and believe me, there will be more!) they will be better yet!

sewvivor 3

I wish you all could feel the texture that the quilting is giving this, so awesome!

sewvivor 3

And the mix of super dense quilting with random embroidery work and sparse quilting is making for a pretty interesting back!

sewvivor 3

Which of course has been kept pretty simple as always ;)


And you can see on the left hand side of the above shot is where all of my blocks have been finished. The right, not so much. And i love how you can see where the strips at the bottom of the quilt are on the back. Quilting them was some of my favorite work.

sewvivor 3

sewvivor 3

sewvivor 3

That strip of AMH with the little squares, how could i not fill them with cross stitches! I'm envisioning a whole canvas of that print, cross stitched like crazy. Hmmm. Yep, adding that to my to do list ;)

So i guess you all want some details (probably not, you're all here for the eye candy right?!)

The pattern is the fantastically crazy Gypsy Wife by Jen Kingwell.
And if ever i was to design a pattern that best shows who i am, this would have been it!

Most of the fabrics were gloriously fussy cut Anna Maria Horner prints, from multiple lines.

sewvivor 3

Mostly Field Study and Dowry, but there are some bits of Hand Drawn Garden in there as well. (You have no idea how badly i wanted to start over when i had Pretty Potent in hand!) And for the most part, most of the low volume prints are Carolyn Friedlander, goddess of the low vol prints!

I used AMH Cracking Codes in Petal for the binding and i definitely want to add yardage of it into my stash!

sewvivor 3

All of it was pieced by me on my little old Ken, using whatever colour of Aurifil i had loaded in at the time.

sewvivor 3

Mostly Dove Grey though, that colour is the best neutral thread ever!

But winner of the best thread ever in the history of the world...

aurifil #2975 brass

Aurifil #2975 - Brass. I love this colour so very much! Gypsy was quilted entirely in this shade in 12wt. Though i do also have it in 40wt as well and used that for hand sewing the binding down. I want to quilt all the things in brass!

So yeah, i guess that's it. I'm unsure of the overall size, though i'm guessing it's pretty close to what the pattern states it is, 59x68. I will do a final measurement after washing and drying. (which i'm terrified of doing, so any tips on washing and drying hand quilted dealies would be greatly appreciated!)

I have my fingers crossed that i make the cut for Sewvivor but i guess we'll have to wait and see! Though even if i don't make the cut, you can bet that i'll be there following along with those that do! Lots of awesome entries!



High fives for finally kinda, almost, finishing my Gypsy Wife!
And double high fives (or would that be high tens?) for bravely getting out of my hobbit hole and actually daring to do something so very out of the norm for me!!

And here's one more shot for the road ;)

sewvivor 3

Comments

  1. Your Gypsy Wife quilt is too beautiful for words. I'm so glad that you posted tons of pictures but I would have been happy to see more. I'm especially curious to see a close up of the quilting/embroidery on the back of the quilt. Truly, I wish I could see it in person. The texture looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo.. You are inspiring me to get back to mine. Yours is epic. Love all the AMH and the hand quilting details! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking. Otherwise, I am at a loss for words. Truly epic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is absolutely stunning!
    I love your hand-embroidered details, they enhance the fabric wonderfully.
    Best of luck for the competition, although something tells me you won't need luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! just wow!! the Gypsy Wife is such a fun pattern and your quilting is such a fun match. i think all of the blocks are getting the royal treatment. and the binding....what a perfect choice!! it really makes the colors in the quilt pop! you know my fingers are crossed for you and Sewvvivor!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Nicole. Those fabrics you went with are perfect for this pattern. Even though it is not my thing I enjoyed exploring all the details and all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab fab fab - I had to come and see all your pics!! You're motivating me to keep slogging away at my top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL... "kept pretty simple" Girl, if that's simple, my quilts are kindergarten! I love that little section of squares that you cross-stitched. I wish I could see this finished quilt in person. It's going to be one of those quilts where you find a new treasure every time you pick it up.

    Psst... my Sew-vivor post is prepped and ready to launch this week-end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is lovely and especially all that hand quilting! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hands down my favorite of all the Gyspy quilts I've seen. Your use of low volumes just makes all those AMH fabric shine! And I love that it gives your eyes a place to rest on each block. The hand quilting is like icing on this already decadent cake! But not the thick, yucky icing. Icing that is perfect compliment to the cake and there's nothing left on your plate when you're done. It's so pretty, and I love all the different stitches you chose. Like, now I want to go hand quilt something...I do have that 12wt teal...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, so I completely adore this! Truly. It is simply amazing! AMH has never been my most favorite (if you don't want to be my friend anymore, I understand ;), but you've taken her prints and made something I want to stare at forever! And snuggle under. And own :) And you're doing it again with the #brilliantnutbagquilt I am in awe. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fantastic! I bought the pattern in April at Paducah for my 'bucket list' quilts! Hope mine turns out as great as yours some day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about your quilt. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! The most favouritest awesomest quilt I've seen this year, I reckon! I have my own GW in progress, but now I want to start again inAMH like yours! Just stunning. Congratulations xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't even know where to start with the comments! But you already know I love your gypsy almost as much as you do. Oh that handquilting! The combination of the AMH and low vol CF prints is just so awesome. I especially love all the colorful strips at the bottom. I'm going to keep looking at this some more. A lot more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am impressed by your hand quilting skills. i wish that i had half the patience that it would take to consider such a task!
    i love the color choices you used as well. great combos
    best of luck to you in the auditions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a stunner! I can't believe your a beginner hand quilter....get outa town! It's truly magnificent and what an heirloom it will make....you should be super proud. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep coming back to look at your pictures. Your quilt is absolutely stunning, my favourite Gyspy Wife quilt yet. I would have thought that AMH prints are too busy for the pattern--or visa versa--but you skilfully allowed both the pattern and the fabric design to shine with your use of LV prints. Your hand quilting is to die for! Brilliant job--my fingers are crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. NO FREAKING WORDS. NO WORDS. STOP IT. seriously. i am so obsessed. it is stunning. my absolute fav. your colors. can you just send me tons of shots - i want some many of your blocks. LOVE your hand quilting. i just die. this is me giving you a standing ovation, boo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I say high 20s!! This really is as fantastic as I would have imagined when you started with it. Really something special and the handwork... pla dow! Love it Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG. It is just gorgeous! You are a shoe-in to win. You rock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My computer is being fussy, so after days of trying to see the images in this post, my computer has finally decided I am allowed. I absolutely love the hand quilting. You have done an amazing job. Keep up the good work. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ZOOOOOMMigah. My sweet ninja friend, this one makes me want to whip out my ninja gear and head north. Please let me know approximately when you will be finished with this majestic handquilting so I can plan my journey accordingly :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. hOLY SMOKES!! And many, many other synonyms for freaking awesome! I took a look at the competition- there is none. You will win. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. *GASP* This is so beautiful, I have no words!! Your hand stitching is so beautiful, and just the right touch for such a magnificent quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So beautiful and what wonderful fabrics to be complemented by your hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love this quilt. All the AMH and Carolyn Friedlander goodness in there. Plus, the awesome hand stitching that you have done. It is really beautiful!! Good luck in the Sewvivor!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WooHoo Nicole!! It's amazing and you should be quite proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would wish you luck, but I don't think you need it! This is awesome! Best, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  30. Damn, this is fabulous! Love that you're hand quilting it. Wonderful mix of fabrics. Love! Good luck with the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love love love love love! I want this quilt to come live at my house, except everything else at my house would feel kinda sad and shabby in comparison. It looks great from a distance... you really nailed the mix of values so that all those blocks hold their own. But then there are so many gorgeous close-up details too! Just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an amazing quilt! The hand quilting is so worth it. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I am at a loss for words! Thanks for all the detailed pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this! I have Gypsy Wife on my wish list. Love the big stitch hand quilting. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  34. BLAM is right!! Fantastic, Gorgeous, Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome accomplishments, Sewvivor AND The Gypsy Wife!! The Gypsy Wife is currently on my Bucket List of Quilty Things, and I'm hording AMH and Tula Pink fabrics until I get to it, then decide. I'll be keeping my eyes out for you during the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats on getting in the final 16! With this quilt you had to be picked! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Simply stunning, the colours are Devine, the quilting is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  38. I like the mix of stitching. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Absolutely stunning. Love the hand quilting details too.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your hand stitching is incredibly inspiring! :):) Such a great quilt:)

    ReplyDelete
  41. This really is so incredibly stunning and beyond words! Your quilt top is gorgeous, but the amazing hand quilting takes it over the top!!! I'm in love :)
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi,

    I pinned yours and one other to a board " Favourite Gypsy Wife" and refer to both often as I'm just starting this quilt. Looking at your photos today I realized we're from the same town! How exciting! Are you a member of the guild?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!
And will usually respond by email, unless you're a no reply blogger. Then pop back here for a response!

Popular Posts